Re: Noisy byte compilation on master

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Noisy byte compilation on master
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2015 10:45:27 -0500

>>> Alternately, non-core CEDET can provide a compatibility file that
>>> defines cl-defmethod etc in terms of defmethod for older emacsen.
>> Hmm... that's an idea.
>> I could provide a cl-generic.el on GNU ELPA to provide cl-defmethod via
>> EIEIO, and then CEDET could make use of the new macros.
>> WDYT?
> Fine with me. We could also put it in CEDET upstream so people don't
> have to install it.

I have now added a cl-generic forward compatibility package to GNU ELPA.
It should hopefully work for any Emacs with EIEIO.

> Note that I currently have no way of syncing CEDET with Emacs.

Is there something we can do about that?

> So if you have a script or similar to change the calling convention,
> please tell me and I run it over the upstream code.

I used the sed script below along with:

    for f in $(grep -l '(defmethod' lisp/cedet/**/*.el); do
        echo $f
        (rm $f; ./_cl-generic-rewrite.sed >$f) <$f
    done

-- Stefan