Re: Pixel-based display functions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Pixel-based display functions
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 10:18:00 -0500

> shr inserts text as long lines into the buffer, and I then use
> `vertical-motion' to go to the desired width, and then backtracking
> finding a fill point using the kinsuko algorithm.  Then a newline is
> inserted, and we repeat until the line is completely filled.

That sounds OK.  It should end up considering an amount of text O(N),
with very little wasted work (the only wasted work is on the text before
fill-column but after the chosen fill point).

I'm not sure if vertical-column might waste some extra time on the
vertical movement (which you don't need), but other than that, it should
be about as fast as you can get.

IOW, if it's not fast enough, your next best chance is lazyness ;-)

        Stefan