Re: Multi-column layouts and line heights

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Multi-column layouts and line heights
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 17:43:43 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 20:21:10 +1100
>
> Take a look at the layout here:
>
> http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2015/02/09/eww-not-can-haz-different-line-pitch/

Took me a while and several readings of your comment to even notice
the problem.

> Is there any way to work around that problem?  I would guess not, but
> I've been wrong about lots of things before.  :-)

Yes, it's a fundamental limitation of the current display engine: each
screen line (a.k.a. "glyph row") goes all the way from the left edge
of the window to its right edge.  The height of each screen line is
determined by the height of the largest glyph on that line.

In a nutshell, the display engine lays out each window on a
rectangular canvas (known as a "glyph matrix").

Again, I don't think the problem is so grave.  You will have the same
problem if some of the lines use unusual characters displayed with
other fonts.  There's nothing new here that Emacs users aren't seeing
already.