Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Robin Templeton
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 11:15:20 -0500

>   > > More precisely, Apple intends LLVM and Clang to make GCC cease to be a
>   > > signal success and a reason for all sorts of companies to work on a
>   > > compiler that always gives users freedom.  That would be a victory for
>   > > Apple and a defeat for freedom.
>
>   > At least once, Apple proposed to integrate LLVM as part of GCC.
>
> That appears to have been in 2005, before GPL v3 was published.
> GPL v3 is what Apple hates, because of its patent protection.
>
> By replacing most of GCC with non-copylefted code, they would have
> gone most of the way towards achieving the same result: to make GCC
> cease to be a reason for all sorts of companies to work on a compiler
> that always gives users freedom.  Because GCC would have come much
> closer to failing to always give users freedom.

That would not have happened under the original proposal, which included
assigning the LLVM copyright to the FSF:

"If people are seriously in favor of LLVM being a long-term part of GCC,
I personally believe that the LLVM community would agree to assign the
copyright of LLVM itself to the FSF and we can work through these
details."

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,