Re: Defending GCC considered futile

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Defending GCC considered futile
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 20:14:56 +0100

* Perry E. Metzger:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:14:17 +0200 Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Modularizing GCC is not discouraged.  It actually happens as we
>> speak, check out the latest developments in GCC 5 and GDB.
>
> If this is the case, what is the problem with Emacs directly linking
> against the GCC front end to get access to the C and C++ AST?

The C front end does not produce an AST, it lowers immediately to
GENERIC, whose only control flow constructs are conditional
expressions and gotos.  The C++ front end extends GENERIC with
additional trees, preserving more information, but I do not know if it
is sufficiently complete to qualify as an AST.

I don't know if this can be fixed so that the result is still
maintainable and there is no observable speed difference no matter
what compiler flags you use.

(I looked at this because I wanted to introduce syntax-driven
unreachable code warnings, including a switch-case fallthrough
warning.)