Marking branch commits not for merge

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Marking branch commits not for merge
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 19:31:30 +0200

I couldn't find any clear instructions regarding the case where I'm
pushing a commit to emacs-24 that should not be merged to master.  The
available instructions, in CONTRIBUTE, admin/notes/git-workflow, and
admin/notes/repo talk about backported changes, which this one isn't.
gitmerge.el seems to indicate that just having "merge" somewhere in
the log message is enough, but I think this is designed to catch
merge-commits.

So: how do I tell in the commit log message that a commit is not to be
merged from the release branch onto master?