RE: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Wedler, Christoph
Subject: RE: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 14:13:56 +0000

>> Since multi-mode machinery, in the general case, will require support from
>> the "primary" major modes, too, I suppose prog-mode it's not the proper
>> place for the facilitating code.

> We could place it elsewhere.  E.g. indent.el.

It sounds so obvious after you have said it...
How should we call the variable then?  Just `indent-context' ?  Or
`indent-multi-mode-context'?

>> And overall, this change looks very specific to this one use case
>> (Antlr and literate programming modes, I guess).

> It's definitely not the end of the story, indeed.  But I don't think
> anyone knows what a good general solution looks like, right now
> (especially if "good" includes "can be made to work OK without
> re-implementing the indentation algorithm of all submodes").

> We've been waiting for such a magic bullet for a long time, and I don't
> expect it to come any time soon.  This proposed prog-indentation-context
> is just a very small step along the way, but at least it's making
> some progress.

I fully agree.  It can happen that a problem becomes easier when you
generalize it extensively.  But quite often, it becomes more complex.

> [...]  There are many other problems to solve (e.g. interaction with
> syntax-ppss, font-lock, eldoc, ...), tho, so time will tell which step
> will come second.

Exactly.  Already this specific problem is quite complex.
Indentation is the first step for me, because doing it wrongly could
uglify your code as file content, whereas non-perfect syntax
highlighting just looks non-ideal in your Emacs buffer.
(Of course, I also checked syntax-highlighting - it looks pretty good
even with the current hands-on approach).

        Christoph