Re: Noisy byte compilation on master

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Noisy byte compilation on master
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 18:53:33 +0100

Stefan Monnier writes:
>>> Or you could use a macro which either drops the name argument or passes
>>> it depending on the version of EIEIO with which it's compiled.
>> I would still have to rewrite the constructor calls, right?
>
> Yes, but it should be a slightly simpler rewrite (no need to find&remove
> the name string).

The real work is finding the constructor calls and making sure the
string isn't actually used for anything (which we'll have to do anyway,
as the string is not saved in Emacs25 unless explicitly set with
eieio-object-set-name-string).

I really do not want to clutter the code with some macro before every
constructor all. That would needlessly also end up in Emacs proper
through merging, and it would eventually have to be removed again when
we stop supporting Emacs24. I'm actually a bit confused, as I thought we
agreed that EIEIO should not emit a warning when the string is provided,
at least not during run-time. I could live with those warnings during
byte-compilation, as I would just shush those as long as we support
Emacs24.

-David