Re: The purpose of makunbound

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The purpose of makunbound
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 08:33:25 -0500

> To get rid of the ambiguity, I propose always using the term ‟void” for what
> makunbound sets, and using the ‟bind/unbind” terminology exclusively for the
> kind of binding that «let» does.

Here's the problem: I don't see any difference between those two kinds
of bindings and the implementation doesn't see them as different either.
So if we try and distinguish them, we'll probably end up describing
a semantics that doesn't match the implementation.

> Just to be clear, the only reason there's any ambiguity in the first place
> is because makunbound operates on non-global variables.

Dynamically-scoped vars are global.

        Stefan