Re: Fixing ill-conditioned regular expressions. Proof of concept.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Fixing ill-conditioned regular expressions. Proof of concept.
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:19:03 -0800

On 02/23/2015 12:21 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
basically, I've got little idea about regexp engines.

That's OK, if you prefer a source-to-source transformation then you can use that instead, but the point is that this should be done for all uses of the regexp code, not just for some of them.

The Emacs regexp code isn't Perl-inspired, as far as I know. It's an old copy of the glibc code, with a lot of hacks. The glibc version mutated quite a bit when it added i18n support, and Emacs's version has mutated in different ways.