Re: save-excursion and the mark

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: save-excursion and the mark
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 19:50:50 +0100

> save-excursion is used an awful lot.
> symbol-function is used very rarely.
> An incompatible change in save-excursion is much more likely
> to break things than an incompatible change in symbol-function.

But this also means that detecting a breakage is more likely to happen
for a change in `save-excursion' than for a change in `symbol-function'.

I would make the change and wait until someone complains.  IMHO this is
the cheapest way to find out whether anyone really wants this to restore
the mark.

martin