Re: Add function eshell/clear to clear current eshell buffer

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: Re: Add function eshell/clear to clear current eshell buffer
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2015 11:11:26 +0100

Hi Vibhav,
* address@hidden <address@hidden> [09. Mar. 2015]:
> +(defun eshell/clear ()
> +  "Clear the eshell-buffer"

Now this command does not clear the eshell buffer any more, but the
eshell window.  I think the doc string should say so because this has
security implications: The user may think some info is gone but actually
it’s only no longer visible.  How about:

"Scroll contents out of the eshell window by inserting newlines."

(let ((number-newlines (count-lines (window-start) (point))))
  (insert (make-string number-newlines ?\n)))
  (eshell-send-input))

> +  (interactive)
> +  (let ((number-newlines (count-lines (window-start) (point))))
> +    (insert (make-string number-newlines ?\n)))
> +    (eshell-send-input))

Doesn't this insert the newlines where ever the point is?
Shouldn't it append the newlines to the very end of the buffer
where ever point was before?

Ciao; Gregor