Re: Rationalising c[ad]\{2,5\}r.

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Rationalising c[ad]\{2,5\}r.
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 19:54:34 -0300

>> 1. caar,  cadr, cdar, and cddr are defined in subr.el;
>> 2. c[ad]\{3,4\}r are actually called cl-caaar, etc;
>
> Gag. Why is that?

My guess is that these were initially defined in `cl.el' (which, if
that's the case, I agree was a mistake), and afterwards all cl
functions were renamed to `cl-' prefixes by cl-lib (in the process of
abolishing `cl.el').

>> and there will be compatibility aliases for cl-caaadr etc..
>
> Why? Why is that needed?

To not make it harder for developers to support Emacs 24.X

> Has this slick cl-* paint job perhaps gotten out of hand?

Well, it's not exactly getting worse. It's the same it's always been, isn't it?