Re: Is it possible for a 14 year old in the UK to be able to contribute

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Is it possible for a 14 year old in the UK to be able to contribute to Emacs?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:10:16 -0400

> - Is there an age limit?

Like most games, it's only for "7 to 77", but it looks like you're still
within the limits.

> - Is it possible for somebody in the UK to sign FSF papers
> electronically.

The process is changed on a regular basis and I'm not in the
corresponding loop, so I couldn't tell you for sure.  Last I heard, it
was not possible, tho.  This said, I do not know how your age may impact
the handling/validity of a copyright assignment (e.g. maybe your
parents would need to sign something?).  Luckily, the process lets
a lawyer figure all that out for me because you have to fill the form
below, and then the FSF staff will figure out what you need to do and
send you the relevant paperwork in the most efficient way available.

> As said, I'm just curious as I feel I have yet to obtain enough knowledge to
> be able to contribute "properly" (i.e: I don't know enough LISP/C).

There are many ways to contribute (doc fixes, bug reports, helping
others configure their Emacs, writing packages, fixing bugs, rewriting
the redisplay engine, ...).

Oh, wait bloody hell, I forgot to curse!
Damn you fucking moron, look what you made me do!
BUZZ OFF!!!!

Eww!  That was a close call.  Anyway, what was I saying?  Oh, right, we
can help you "fill the knowledge gap" when needed.  The main thing you
need to know, is that we're all pretty busy, so your contribution may
stay ignored for quite a while if for some reason it doesn't catch our
attention.  This does suck, indeed.

        Stefan

Please email the following information to address@hidden, and we
will send you the assignment form for your past and future changes.

Please use your full legal name (in ASCII characters) as the subject
line of the message.
REQUEST: SEND FORM FOR PAST AND FUTURE CHANGES

[What is the name of the program or package you're contributing to?]
Emacs

[Did you copy any files or text written by someone else in these changes?
Even if that material is free software, we need to know about it.]

[Do you have an employer who might have a basis to claim to own
your changes?  Do you attend a school which might make such a claim?]

[For the copyright registration, what country are you a citizen of?]

[What year were you born?]

[Please write your email address here.]

[Please write your postal address here.]

[Which files have you changed so far, and which new files have you written
so far?]