Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 22:16:18 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Harald Hanche-Olsen <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 04:08:13 +0900
>
>  > It also requires to use at least one more command ("git merge"),
>
> You can pull from a branch in the same repo.  As far as I know,
>
>     git pull . other
>
> is the same as
>
>     git merge other

There's also "git checkout", and maybe a few more.

I agree that separate long-lived changes are better kept in separate
branches, but we have seen several people who are familiar with Git
make silly mistakes that involved two branches, so I'm not sure we
should suggest separate branches to people who want to be as close to
CVS as possible.

>  > and brings additional risks, like if you pull to or push from the
>  > wrong branch.
>
> It should be possible to use "git config" to set up per-branch
> defaults that are correct.
>
> I was going to suggest this workflow.  The problem in Richard's
> workflow is that he probably expects that when he's working
> simultaneously in different modules (some changes being coded, others
> being beta-tested), he should be able to tweak them more or less
> independently.  But then he'd need to make small "correction" commits
> rather than amending the last commit, and cherrypick (or rebase
> --interactive) to master for the push.  I imagine he'd consider that
> inconvenient.

Probably.