Re: Stash

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Stash
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 01:51:06 -0400

One superiority of CVS is 'cvs up' reports its actions in a clear and
concise way.  Once you know what the letters mean, it is all
straightforward.

If it updates a lot of files, I often do 'cvs up' a second time,
knowing it will show me only the files I have changed and might want
to install.

I have forgotten what Bzr's output looked like, but I recall that it
was easy for me to see what conflicts there were.  Then I used vc-dir
to see what files I might need to install.

Git outputs a mass of information.  As a Git beginner I don't
understand what part of it might indicate a problem.  This is a
serious concrete failing of Git.

I think Git ought to have an 'update' facility, for simple usage
scenarios, that would be just as easy to use as cvs update.  In more
complex scenarios, it could refuse to operate.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation