Re: Async Package.el Feedback

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Async Package.el Feedback
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 18:22:41 +0100

I just did the following and I don't get any prompt.

    ln -s file1 file2
    emacs -q
    M-x find-file file2

But if `file1' is a version controled file, then I do get the prompt
(asRasmus explained).

I think I'll do 2 things about this:

1. Read the contents of the file before visiting it, so if it already
contains `package-initialize' we don't need to visit it at all. This
will get rid of this prompt for users who version control their init
file.
2. Do this visiting thing during package-initialize instead of during
package-install, this way it should only happen once per session
(unless the user manually initializes again, which is not a big
issue). This way, if another unexpected corner case like this shows
up, the user won't get faced with the problem 28 times in a row.

Another possibility I've been considering would be to let go of this
solution and switch to the second solution initially proposed on the
other thread (checking a file or an enviroment variable to decide
whether to package-initialize at startup or not).