Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master e45dbdc: package--ensure-init-file: widen requires save-restriction
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:14:38 +0300

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 14:55:42 -0400
>
> >> Why do we need to introduce this constraint on messages just as we
> >> celebrating liberation from ChangeLog files?
> >
> > How else do you expect the ChangeLog to be generated in its correct
> > format at release time?  By what magic?
>
>     patch=$(git format-patch -1 $hash)
>     files=$(grep 'diff --git' $patch | sed s',^.*b/,,')
>     rm $patch

This doesn't produce what's supposed to be in ChangeLog.  Without you
writing the log message in the format requested by CONTRIBUTE, the
resulting ChangeLog will not include the information users expect to
see there.  So we need to provide it in the commit log in the first
place.

> However, I did not realized that we are going to generate ChangeLog
> files "in their correct format".
> I am sure this has been discussed here and sufficiently convincing
> arguments in favor of generating them have been advanced to ensure that
> the parties involved would not be swayed by my dismay :-(

Release tarballs need to have the log of the changes, with enough
details for users to be able to understand what was changed, don't you
agree?