Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 10:59:39 +0800

Artur Malabarba <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> Also regarding 3: We have keywords but they are not the same thing as
> categories.
> I'm not saying we should come up with yet another classification, but
> I'm saying that keywords need some serious work. It's not obvious to
> the user what keywords are available or how to browse them. And
> they're sort of all over the place with a lot of overlap.

This would be nice to fix. `finder-known-keywords' looks like the place
to start. Package filtering is only indirectly connected to the value of
that variable, though.

Filtering is done on keywords actually found in the packages. If package
authors used `auto-insert' when creating their packages, they would be
prompted to add keywords from `finder-known-keywords'. That leaves a lot
of wiggle room for the insertion of random keywords.

In order to make filtering useful, it seems like it would be worthwhile
fleshing out the taxonomy of `finder-known-keywords', and enforcing it
-- ie, keywords not in that variable would be ignored by package
filtering.

Eric