RE: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: RE: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 18:32:30 +0100

> > We would just accept any keyword that doesn't already have...
>
> "We" is what here, exactly?  Just the use of keywords by
> `list-packages' (or other package viewing/filtering code)?

The idea is not to restrict or prevent anything, just recommend.
We would extend the list of known finder.el keywords. When the byte compiler is compiling a package, it could issue a warning if it notices keywords that are not part of the known list.
All keywords would keep working just the same (even those not on the list). This warning would be the only change here.

The intention was to nudge developers towards avoiding useless duplicates. We wouldn't enforce anything. Obviously this list of keywords that don't issue warnings would need to grow with time. Which is the most cumbersome aspect here.

Let me clarify, I don't think this idea should be implemented as is. I'm just throwing thoughts out there in the hopes we can converge to something useful.
I agree the keywords system should never become restricted, but I do think we need to help developers towards standardising it a little.