Re: namespace convention for short-lived branches

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: namespace convention for short-lived branches
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:56:49 -0400

Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> If the branch contents are simply merged, will the mailed send out the
> contents of every commit therein again?

Well, AFAICS it sends out the relevant information that I think it should?
That's why I'm personally not interested in seeing the diffs for
"work-in-progress" branches. I'll read them when/if they go to master.

You can verify this by looking at the mails that come about when
emacs-24 is merged to trunk, eg:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-03/msg00037.html

There have been no complaints so far.

At the risk of opening the chat-about-git-floodgates again, this prompts
me to ask: is there a setting that will make such merge mails better?
I'm using

log --format=full -C --stat -p -m --first-parent

I'm a simple-minded person who just wants to see
"difference between master before this change was applied and after it
was applied"

Sometimes the diffs don't seem to make sense. Eg in

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2015-03/msg00040.html

The NEWS diff is completely bogus AFAICS (the NEWS file in emacs-24
merges to NEWS.24 in trunk).