Re: Updated GnuTLS from MSYS2 and Emacs's `dynamic-library-alist'

From: Alexander Shukaev
Subject: Re: Updated GnuTLS from MSYS2 and Emacs's `dynamic-library-alist'
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 18:05:55 +0200

OK, I see the relevant bit here [1], thanks.

[1] https://github.com/emacs-mirror/emacs/commit/dc79845

On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 5:47 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:06:51 +0200
> From: Alexander Shukaev <address@hidden>
> Cc: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> ​As I understand it​
>
> (gnutls
> "libgnutls-
> ​30​
> .dll" "libgnutls-28.dll" "libgnutls-26.dll")
>
> makes loading of GnuTLS 3.4 completely optional, i.e. people may still have
> "libgnutls-28.dll" and use it instead. So why not backport this commit then?

That's not what needs to be done.  Emacs compiled for GnuTLS versions
before 3.4.0 is incompatible with the GnuTLS DLL versions 3.4.0.  The
new ABI introduces a binary incompatibility, so you need to recompile
Emacs with the newer GnuTLS headers to be able to load the 3.4.0 DLL.
And if you recompile Emacs like that, it will be incompatible with the
older DLLs.  Trying to load incompatible DLLs will likely cause a
crash.

So the change you need to do is more than just the one you show.

Once again, I don't recommend that, if you are building a binary for
more than just your own consumption.  But that's up to you.