Re: [Emacs-diffs] master efa6f10: .gitignore tweaks

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master efa6f10: .gitignore tweaks
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 21:09:00 +0300

On 05/24/2015 08:30 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:

> Using .txt for attached patches works around a Thunderbird bug noted
> by Ivan Shmakov on this list.

Interesting. I've missed that email entirely.

Here, the contents are a base64 representation of exactly the same file
as before, but Thunderbird has labeled the attachment as UTF-8.  This is
more likely to work in practice.

Thanks, I see it, and it's the same in email sent from Thunderbird 38 (beta).

The intricacies of how it should work are above me, but isn't this bug report-worthy?

And sending patch with a "wrong" extension means that after it's saved, the other party will have more trouble viewing it correctly. gedit does no appropriate syntax highlighting for .txt, and Emacs opens them in text-mode by default (which means no syntax highlighting, or chunk navigation commands). This cure might be worse than the disease.