Re: Difficulty building older Emacsen: <tab> characters seemingly foulin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Difficulty building older Emacsen: <tab> characters seemingly fouling things up.
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:06:30 +0300

> Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 18:00:36 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Looks like line 143 should have had a backslash at its end, but
> doesn't.  Likewise, line 144 should have ended with a backslash I
> don't understand how did it happen, as lib-src/Makefile.in from Emacs
> 23.1 have these present.

I seem to remember that the behavior of cpp changed at some point, and
we needed to invoke it with the -traditional switch in order to avoid
some trouble, perhaps precisely this one.  (You may remember that in
those days we used cpp to process Makefile.in files into Makefiles.)

So perhaps reconfigure with "CPP='gcc -E -traditional' or somesuch.