Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 13:57:06 -0700

Richard Stallman wrote:
I think we should aim to represent Lisp code as ASCII so it can be
edited without an input method.

That makes sense for Lisp code itself, but not so much for strings and comments that Lisp code contains. Years ago we started putting non-ASCII characters into Lisp strings and comments, and this has worked well. Going back and imposing an ASCII goal or requirement now would would be a maintenance pain for little benefit. For example, it would be much harder to read and change this ASCII-only Lisp code:

  (string-match "[^a-zA-Z\u03B1-\u03C9\u0391-\u03A90-9']" name)

than to read and change what's in calc-explain-units-rec now:

  (string-match "[^a-zA-Zα-ωΑ-Ω0-9']" name)

Of course the fact that non-ASCII characters work in Lisp strings does not mean that we should necessarily change our source-code strings. My point here is only that the goal of ASCII-only Lisp source files is now often more trouble than it's worth, and it should not be a determining factor when considering what source-code strings should look like.