Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 08:34:34 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

>> But we're still referring to a function argument `foo' as FOO in
>> docstrings, no?
>
> Yes, there's no proposal to change that.

I was just wondering because the quoted text said to quote lisp symbols
with single quotes, and parameters are lisp symbols, too, or arent they?

>> is there something better for inserting single quotes as using
>>
>>    M-x insert-char LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK RET
>>    M-x insert-char RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK RET
>
> I typically use Electric Quote mode, and type ` and ' which is pretty
> easy.

I just did `M-x electric-quote-mode RET' and `electric-quote-paragraph'
is t, and still nothing is rewritten.  Ah, it seems it's only active for
modes deriving from text-mode which message-mode apparently doesn't
do...

> You can also type "C-x 8 [" and "C-x 8 ]".

That works.

> If your Alt key works you can also type "A-[" and "A-]".

What does "Alt key works" mean?  Alt is Meta here, so typing Alt-AltGr-(
says M-[ is undefined.

Bye,
Tassilo