Re: Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs release and bundling GNU Elpa
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 21:49:41 +0300

> Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:45:50 +0100
> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> > Fair disclosure: I don't like this "move to ELPA" attitude.  I think
> > the net result will be more bugs because of unsynchronized development
>
> Why would it unsynchronise?

Because Emacs development adds new features that the packages may or
may not want to use, and Emacs deprecates obsolete features that the
packages may or may not want to remove.  When a single team handles
that, the policy is always consistent; not so when independent teams
with independent agendas do the same.

> > and less exposure of packages to people who track development on
> > master,
>
> These packages will effectively be part of master.

Only if one decides to pull them.  Since that's at least a bit of an
additional hassle, one could decide not to bother.

> >  . We'd need to find a way of providing ChangeLogs for the packages,
> >    either by merging their Git logs somehow, or by keeping their
> >    ChangeLogs in separate directories (which would mean each package
> >    will have its own directory, making load-path longer).
>
> Keep their ChangeLogs in the same place as their source (in the
> "./elpa.git/packages/package-name/" directory). This has nothing to do
> with the load-path. The load-path will point to "./lisp/from-elpa"
> (which is where we copy the sources before compiling).

Aren't you forgetting that ChangeLog files need to be part of the
release tarball?  Or do you mean we will have each package twice in a
tarball, in 2 different directories?