Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Upcoming loss of usability of Emacs source files and Emacs.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:34:33 -0400

> Someone should also clearly state the benefits, and to what they
> are attributed.

For me the main issue in source code's use of `...' is that
it's ambiguous.  Using curly quotes is one way to solve this issue (tho
it should come with some escaping mechanism to make sure that the very
rare other uses of curly quotes in source code aren't ambiguous).

We could also keep using `...' in source code with some escaping
mechanism (better and more complete than the one we currently have).

If we render using curly quotes, for aesthetic reasons, then using curly
quotes in the source code has also the advantage of eliminating magic
(font-lock or whatnot) between the two.

        Stefan