RE: Displaying the state of isearch toggles [was Re: ASCII-folded search

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Displaying the state of isearch toggles [was Re: ASCII-folded search]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 07:04:27 -0700 (PDT)

>> When you say "non-orthogonal", presumably you are suggesting that
>> changing one attribute automatically either changes some others
>> or restricts some others.  Which such search attributes did you
>> have in mind?
>
> I don't know which eli had in mind but:
>
> Word search is non orthogonal to symbol search (I guess they're
> different values of the same attribute).

If they are different values of the same attribute then this is
not a case of non-orthogonal attributes.  Cycling among the values
of that attribute (or choosing one of the values in some other way)
should be sufficient.

> Char folding, word/symbol searching, and regexp searching are all
> non orthogonal due to implementation details.

Please elaborate.  Search is either literal or regexp (and we can
add other pattern-matching search types).  Again, different values
of the same attribute.  Word/symbol/whatever: see above.

Char folding?  Do you mean that if you are folding wrt one
equivalence class then either you cannot also be folding wrt
another class or folding of the other changes somehow?  Please
explain.