Re: HTML rendering

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: HTML rendering
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 09:54:35 +0900

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 09:24:19 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Please in the future include in the example any libraries that need to
> be loaded for it to work, for the benefit of those who try the example
> in "emacs -Q".

It requires (require 'gnus-art) to make it work with "emacs -Q",
sorry.

>> Even for English text (filled shorter than the window width), lines
>> can get too long depending on the font Emacs chooses.  Is there a
>> way to help it?  Setting shr-width is helpless since mm-shr
>> overrides it.

> You are supposed to set shr-width to nil, I think.  Did you try?

I tried 64 or something, that's smaller than the window width.
Though the mm-shr function overrides it with nil if shr-use-fonts
is non-nil.  And the default width

(- (window-pixel-width) (* (frame-fringe-width) 2))

will be used (see shr-insert-document).

The functions that fill text lines are shr-fill-line,
shr-vertical-motion, and so forth.  I think the cause filling
Japanese text fails is that shr-vertical-motion uses

(frame-char-width)

to decide the fill position.  It returns 8 in my case, however
the width of Japanses characters is 16.

The most easy way to fix this problem would be to remove let-
binding of shr-width in mm-shr.  Users who need it should set
shr-width of course[1].  Otherwise, it might be also good that
mm-shr binds shr-width to something other than nil.

Thanks.

[1] Setting shr-width to 64 leads long Japanese text to be filled
  in 66-character-width lines.