Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8867296 2/2: ; python.el: Replace `eval-when-co

From: Fabián Ezequiel Gallina
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 8867296 2/2: ; python.el: Replace `eval-when-compile` with `eval-and-compile`
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 20:23:45 -0300

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> -(eval-when-compile
>> +(eval-and-compile
>>    (defconst python-rx-constituents
>
> Could you explain why it's needed both at run-time and compile-time?
>
>> -(eval-when-compile
>> +(eval-and-compile
>>    (defun python-syntax--context-compiler-macro (form type &optional
>> syntax-ppss)
>
> Why is this needed at run-time?

Often I would instrument things when debugging and get errors related to
definitions not available at run-time, which is really annoying, and I
have to go and eval missing definitions by hand. This is mainly an
attempt to leave things in a development friendly state. Is there any
obvious harm in this change?

Thanks,
Fabián.