Re: Tooltips GC overhead

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tooltips GC overhead
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:47:12 +0300

> Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:53:47 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>  > According to my testing, over 80% of consing happens inside
>  > face-spec-recalc which is called by face-set-after-frame-default on
>  > all the known faces.
>
> What's so special about `face-spec-recalc'?

It loops over all the faces; for each one of them, it first calls
face-spec-reset-face, which loops over all the face attributes, then
calls face-spec-set-2, which again sets face attributes.  If you look
at face-spec-reset-face, you'll see that it, too, conses quite a lot.

>  > This is not new, btw: Emacs 24.1 exhibits approximately the same
>  > numbers, Emacs 23 conses only two thirds of that, and Emacs 22.3 one
>  > third.
>
> So with Emacs 22.3 you had one GC every ninth tooltip?

I get more, but not because of faces.