Re: frame.el: call before-make-frame-hook earlier in make-frame

From: floriansbriefe
Subject: Re: frame.el: call before-make-frame-hook earlier in make-frame
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:38:25 +0200

> > That is a viable solution, but it has the drawback that you have to
> > override a
> > default key-binding (C-x 5 2) with your own make-frame function and that
> > you do
> > not benefit from the nice things that 'make-frame-command' additionally
> > does for
> > you a) at the moment (setting the focus to the new frame etc)
>
> Here `make-frame-command' does only
>
>   (interactive)
>   (if (display-graphic-p)
>       (make-frame)
>     (select-frame (make-frame))))
>
> and since you are not on a text terminal (on a text terminal you can
> hardly make a frame at the mouse position) `make-frame-command' is just
> an interactive wrapper for `make-frame'.  Everything else (like
> redirecting focus to the new frame) is done inside `make-frame'.

The use case was just an example, other dynamic settings would be possible.

> > in future emacs releases. Thats why I would prefer using the hook. Thats
> > what
> > hooks are for: Adjusting behaviour with minimal invasion.
>
> That hook would be run for any frames created by other packages, say for
> the speedbar or the ediff control window.  Are you sure you want these
> to pop up at the mouse position?  And how do you get the mouse position
> when it's outside of any emacs frame?  Or do you want to position a new
> frame always inside an existing frame?

If the mouse position cannot be determined I used a default position value.

But you are completely right for frames opened by other packages (speedbar,
ediff control window). I missed those cases in my considerations.

So your proposal of a separate 'make-frame' command for interactively created
frames seems to be the right choice and I will follow this approach.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Florian