Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 16:43:06 +0300

> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 02:21:08 +0300
> Cc: Eric Ludlam <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs Development <address@hidden>
>
> >> So, the API would not only list the variables, but also somehow
> >> describe the possible values.
> >
> > The user can switch between different configurations, and dependend on
> > the current configuration a certain set of environment variables is used
> > when the build system is called.
>
> Okay, the complications seem to outweigh the benefits here.

I really think we could benefit from presenting some kind of goal or
vision for the project.el development.  AFAICS, it started as a way to
standardize finding a "project root", then moved to finding "project
directories", but now it seems we are discussing a much wider scope,
something like infrastructure for project definition and possibly also
IDEs?  If it's the latter, then I won't expect to see arguments about
"complications outweighing benefits" in reference to features that are
basic for any IDE that is worth its menus.

So maybe we should step back a notch and decide anew where is
project.el going, and what is and isn't in its scope?