Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 23:15:16 +0300

On 08/04/2015 10:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

It is not what?  There are 2 parts to that sentence, which one are you
refuting (or confirming)?

Confirming both, more or less.

If you are saying that both parts of what I said are correct, then why
did you and Stephen spend so many time discussing how to define those
pieces of information for a project?  It shouldn't be part of the job;
instead, you should look at what information is provided as part of
defining a project by different means out there, for example, in a
Makefile.

Some of that discussion was misunderstandings, some of it was arguing about semantics, and some of it was arguing about what's the best way to present a certain information in the API. There are many ways to present the same information.

We've certainly discussed different project files and information contained (or missing) in them. Not Makefiles, though.

E.g., there are a couple of standard ways to specify in a Makefile the
directories where the project's files live.  Other significant parts
of a project's information in a Makefile are recipes to build the
project, to install/uninstall it, to clean the tree, etc.  Also,
various standard commands, like compilation command, link command, a
command that creates a library and a manual, etc.

These are all clear candidates for "project information an interested
Lisp program would like to extract", no?

I can't easily answer that. What's the use for "command that creates a manual" (even setting aside the fact that not all projects have that)? Calling it in M-x project-create-manual, a command that only does that one thing? Not very interesting, IMHO.