Re: {Spam?} Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: progmodes/project.el and search paths
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 22:08:37 +1000

Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:

I'm also interested in how to resolve some of the misconceptions about EDE. Perhaps looking at what prevents it from being 'on by default', which I'm sure is a long list, is a good way to move it in the right direction, even if it never is on by default.

Well, say i'm developing a small Perl5 project - one main module, supported by two helper modules, all of which are pure Perl. When i look at the overview of EDE in the Emacs manual:

   https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/EDE.html

and read:

A project may contain one or more targets. A target can be an object file, executable program, or some other type of file, which is “built” from one or more of the files in the project.

i think to myself: "Okay, so EDE might be able to help me build (say) a .tar.gz when i feel the project is ready for release and distribution, but it's not relevant prior to that stage, since the source .pm files /are/ the executable files. There's nothing to 'build' during development and testing, so it seems i have no use for EDE during those phases."

i would also guess that, similarly, EDE might not be that useful when developing in languages such as ELisp, Python or Ruby.

Am i wrong? What would using EDE get me in such contexts?

Alexis.