Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 10:45:32 +0600

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I used to use Windows, including the Windows console, as my primary
>> environment. It displays most of the European part of Unicode
>> allright, once you configure it to use a TrueType or OpenType font.
>
> Europe is but a small part of the world, and the fonts available for
> that on the Windows console are ugly and hard to read.

The Windows console has a two-stage mechanism for configuring the font.

First, the registry specifies a subset of fonts which can be used in
the console. Initially this subset only contains Lucida Console or
Courier New. As far as I can tell, Far East localizations add a
CJK-enabled font. Googling for “add windows console font” will give
you the exact steps.

After that, chosen fonts appear in the console properties dialog.

I used Andale Mono and subsequently Liberation Mono with great success.

>> Some applications (notably, ports of Unix utilities) have problems
>> displaying Unicode on the Windows console. That is a bug in those
>> applications.
>
> LOL.  I have yet to see a native Windows port of a significant Unix
> utility that doesn't have that "bug".

Ubiquity of a bug does not imply that it can or should go unfixed.