Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 09:37:13 +0200

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
>> I think you know full well what I mean by "working character",
>
> No, actually, I don't.  From my point of view "working character" is a
> slippery notion that mutates when we try to pin it down.  Perhaps we
> should stick with "non-ASCII character"; that's clear.
>
>> Spanish keyboards DO have "Ó", for any sensible value of "have".
>
> Only if properly configured.  If you use these keyboards with the
> wrong settings, Compose ' O won't work, and there's no "Ó" key on the
> keyboard so you'll be stuck.  In these respects "Ó", "‘" and "’" are
> all in the same category on a Spanish keyboard.  And this is OK.

Paul, as an Spaniard with 30+ years of experience with computers, I can
assure you that accented letters is a non-issue since a *long* time ago.
I can't remember having issues with accents since I'm using PCs, that's
20+ years. The only way you can have problems with accented letters is
if you lie to the OS saying that your keyboard is not Spanish.

However, I'm lost if you ask me how to input "‘" and "’" (see, I
copy&pasted from your text). Probably I would use the Emacs Unicode
facilities looking for something that looks like those chars, and hope I
arrive at the actual chars and not at something with the same looks but
that's not quite the same.

[snip]