Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 06:55:30 -0700

Paul Eggert wrote:
when discussing a Lisp solution, you voted in favor of simple
translation logic, one that didn't even check for pairings.
substitute-command-keys could do the same.

I suppose it could, yes.  I'll look into that.

After looking into it I'm not so sure it's a good idea. Although it simplifies substitute-command-string, quite a few docstrings quote with apostrophes only when quoting non-symbols, e.g., for rfc2368-mailto-prequery-index:

  "Describes the portion of the url between 'mailto:' and '?'."

and it's not right to turn these into right single quotation marks:

  "Describes the portion of the url between ’mailto:’ and ’?’."

Although we could change all these docstrings to grave or curved or double quoting and that would make Emacs a bit more consistent, this is not clearly an improvement and there still would be a problem with users' own docstrings.

This sort of thing is why Electric Quote mode doesn't transform isolated apostrophes, and there is something to be said for keeping substitute-command-keys somewhat consistent with that mode.

So I'm inclined to leave this alone, and stick with the less-aggressive approach that substitute-command-keys is currently using.