Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Aurélien Aptel
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 00:45:41 +0200

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 12:26 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
> GCPRO is only needed if we don't use conservative stack scanning.
> Conservative stack scanning is used by 99.9% of Emacs builds (so much so
> that there are always latent bugs in the GCPRO code because it sees very
> little testing), so I think it's perfectly acceptable to ignore the
> remaining 0.1%.

Ok, we can always check for conservative scanning at compile to enable modules.

> We just need to export the equivalent of "staticpro" (ideally, this
> should keep track of which module called it, so that we can
> automatically "unpro"tect those vars when/if the module is unloaded).

So if I understand correctly, with conservative scanning there's no
need to call UNGCPRO?

> I don't want to have to convert between emacs_value and Lisp_Object,
> they should be one and the same.

Ok, I'll keep casting Lisp_Object to void* then.

Since module writer will often need to use Lisp_Object as handle for
their own struct pointers, I was thinking adding a way to register
finalizer functions to the API.