Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 13:43:35 +0900

> On Aug 27, 2015, at 11:44, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> We are not talking about code private to 2 Chinese developers.  We are
> talking about the Emacs core code that is common to all Emacs
> developers.  It is plain silly to suggest that the core code, read and
> written by developers all over the world, could be in any language
> except one that is common to all of them.

On a side note, there are quite a number of standard words in English that come
from other languages and that require non ascii characters. So I guess if
limiting comments to English is OK, enforcing a limit to (the printable
characters subset of) ascii on comments could be short-sighted (even if
realistically, there should be few comments including "résumé" or "élite" etc.)

Also, regarding limitations to ascii in comments for Lisp and C (as referred to
earlier), I just checked the 2005 committee draft for ISO/IEC 9899 as well as
ANSI X3.226-1994 and I could not find anything of the sort. I'm not used to
read specs so I may have missed something though.

And to reply to Alexis, it is a language spoken by 4000 people on a small
island East of New Guinea: Rokotas.

Jean-Christophe Helary