Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagno

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 9ce1d38: Use curved quotes in core elisp diagnostics
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:01:11 +0300

> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 01:32:40 -0700
>
> In general, whether a character is punctuation or a letter depends on the
> language.  "ยท" should be punctuation in English, arguably a space in
> classical
> Latin, and a letter in Catalan.  Is Emacs flexible enough to do that now?

How do you define "the current language" in Emacs?  That's the main
problem here (as in any multi-lingual environment).

AFAIK, Emacs lacks infrastructure for providing language dependent
character properties, which differ for the same character.  However,
unless and until we come up with some useful definition of "the
current language", which itself might need some infrastructure, it
makes little sense to have language dependent properties.