Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 15:04:28 +0900

>>> No.  You are asking for that only when you use a search pattern
>>> that does not use the diacriticals.  When you search with á in
>>> the pattern you are NOT asking for matches that disregard the
>>> diacriticals.  And why not?
>
>> Because á does include a diacritical. By specifying it, the user
>> told us the diacriticals are important, and shouldn't be
>> disregarded.
>
> I disagree. When I search for "Müller" I want it to also match
> "Muller" because some people (e.g., in French speaking countries) use
> this as an approximation of the spelling.

It's fine that emacs is "different", but common (nano, vi, GUI editors, word
processors) behaviour is that a search strictly matches the string, and that
creates expectations. For the Muller case above, as a translator I could see
myself search for Muller to correct it to Müller and not be happy to have all
the correct Müllers showing up in the search.

Let's just put flags that trigger case/diacritic matching, they could be on in
default emacs, but they should be somewhere.

Jean-Christophe Helary