The OS at my work recently upgraded from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 and I needed to rebuild my emacs. I am building using the latest version from the git master branch.
The builds on RHEL 5 were smooth.
But on RHEL 6, I need to pass the --with-gif=no option.
I used "/home/kmodi/usr_local/6" as prefix when installing giflib.
Here are the things I ensured for a clean build:
- Use "make bootstrap" (just the ./configure call in there is modified with my custom --prefix and now with this --with-gif=no)
- Ensure that LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH and INCLUDE_PATH are set correctly containing the paths to where I have the giflib installed (in the correct order, leftmost).
- LD_LIBRARY_PATH contained ""/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib"
- PKG_CONFIG_PATH contained ""/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib/pkgconfig"
- INCLUDE_PATH contained ""/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/include"
- Installed giflib 5.1.1 (to make this work, I also installed/uninstalled older versions of this library: giflib 4.1.3, giflib 4.1.4). But configure is simply not able to find this lib!
- Also tried setting this env var but that did not help
setenv LIBGIF "-L/home/kmodi/usr_local/6/lib -lgif "
This is the failure message I get:
checking for TIFFGetVersion in -ltiff... yes
checking gif_lib.h usability... yes
checking gif_lib.h presence... yes
checking for gif_lib.h... yes
checking for GifMakeMapObject in -lgif... no
checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lgif... no
checking for EGifPutExtensionLast in -lungif... no
configure: error: The following required libraries were not found:
But when I grep for GifMakeMapObject in the include/ dir, I see that it's there in gif_lib.h:
km²~/usr_local/:6/include> grep "GifMakeMapObject" gif_lib.h
239:extern ColorMapObject *GifMakeMapObject(int ColorCount,
FWIW, when I build emacs with the --with-gif=no option, I get the below value when I do C-h v system-configuration-features:
"XPM JPEG TIFF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK2 X11"
Can someone please help with what I am missing here? Has anyone faced this problem and successfully resolved it?