RE: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: char equivalence classes in search - why not symmetric?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 16:11:25 -0700 (PDT)

> > That is, after you figure out that Emacs has turned the tables on
> > you (and there is no signal that it has - no message telling you
> > that it is now searching case-sensitively),
>
> For the automatic toggling of case-sensitivity we could display the same
> message as displayed for manual toggling with ‘M-s c’.

Yes, please.

We should also discuss (in another thread, please) other,
additional or better/instead ways to show the user state
changes and the current state.

> > IOW, the automatic downcasing DWIM is used only when you use `C-M-y'
> > (or `C-w') to yank some text at point into the search string.  What
> > was said about automatic downcasing is not true for pasting in
> > general.  Which points to another possibility of use confusion
> > (inconsistency).
>
> No, pasting is broken too: try to paste the upper case “A” with ‘C-s
> C-y’ (isearch-yank-kill) - it's irrecoverably converted to lower case.

Oh, right.  So two ways to get broken pasting in that sense,
and one way to get broken pasting in the other sense (the
example I gave, with `M-e').