Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 20:52:26 +0300

On 09/17/2015 12:11 AM, Stephen Leake wrote:

Is there documentation on this? The doc strings and elisp manual are not
helpful.

It's unfortunately under-documented, so one would have to work from the existing examples in minibuffer.el

I don't understand. Can't Global return absolute file paths?

Yes, it can. But they don't get returned from completing-read.

You deleted too much context here, so I don't know what you are really
asking.

The issue was about why the Global project type has to define its own find-file generic function.

It would make sense to modify completing-read to be able to return
meta-information with the completion. I looked at that briefly, and I
have no idea how to go about it.

It must be doable, but we can manage without it.

Please provide code that shows how; I have no idea.

I haven't actually written any completion styles myself, so Stefan would be a better source on the whys and hows of it. But using completion-at-point has well-known advantages, so we really want to go this way.

If you get stuck, please push the WIP to the feature branch, and I'll try to work it out as well.