Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: RCS: (vc-next-action 1) only New Backend
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 12:00:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 10:59:24 +0200
>>
>> I seem to remember that some RCS-only features were debated and possibly
>> dropped at that time because ESR (along with a lot of others) were not
>> terribly sympathetic towards complicating the generic framework because
>> of the possibility of its continued use (mostly expected to be due to
>> nostalgia).
>
> I guess you are referring to this discussion:
>
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg01164.html
>
> It talks about "rollback", whereas it seems that what was removed
> includes a possibility to tell RCS how to number the version it is
> about to commit.

Entirely possible that this is what I remembered.  However, the
responsible commit turns out to be a good match to my vague recollection
regarding content, commit message, date and author:

commit 2f4f92007956983e6f5cb5136a57ddaa0cd9428e
Author: Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
Date:   Mon Dec 1 06:23:10 2014 -0500

    VC API simplification: remove ability to set initial revision.

    This hasn't made any sense since RCS, and was a dumb stunt then.

    * vc/vc.el and all backends: API simplification; init-revision is
    gone, and vc-registered functions no longer take an initial-revision
    argument.

and so my comments regarding the likely reaction to a wish for
resurrection of that feature are probably not wide off the mark.

--
David Kastrup