Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: RCS, again: another removed functionality: undo last-checkin
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 17:59:10 +0300

On 09/23/2015 04:26 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

The "revert" (which IIUC just installs a new change which undoes the
effect of some earlier change) can mostly be implemented in
a backend-independent way.

Yep. But then it won't be the "rollback" command that's been requested.

But the "rollback" (which IIUC can destructively remove an previous
existing commit, I guess I'd call it "uncommit") is a lot more
problematic, since various backends support it in very different ways
with very different limitations.

Ok, if you're sure about that.

Generalizing the "Amend:" support of
vc-git.el to other backends would probably cover 99% of the use cases.

We'd have to see more opinions on this - e.g. the use cases for vc-uncommit and vc-amend that I can imagine would be slightly different.

Regarding "Amend:", we might want to start with taking care of the main annoyance (IME): when there are no changes to files, I can't easily amend the current commit with the purpose of changing its message.

How would handle that? Make `C-u C-x v v' ignore the 'up to date' status? Create a separate command for "amend"?

If you feel it's really important that user be able to delete a revision
from within Emacs, why not provide a vc-rcs-delete-commits command in
vc-rcs.el?

I don't feel that anything related to RCS can be classified as "really important". It would be useful if it's implemented in modern backends. But rollback isn't hard to do by hand anyway.

That would be a lot simpler to implement and wouldn't force us
to come up with some weird pseudo-generic functionality that might end
up not even supporting 100% of RCS's use cases.

Naturally: if the semantics are that different between RCS and Git, we shouldn't try to force both into something unnatural.