Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master db828f6: Don't rely on defaults in decoding UTF-8 encoded Lisp files
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 08:08:32 -0700

On 09/27/2015 11:53 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
The best solution we have now is to have a coding cookie in each such
file, and the question is how can that be avoided.

IOW, the solution should IMO be independent of user's preferences.

Here's an idea: improve the handling of .dir-locals.el so that it could contain something like this:

  ((nil . ((coding . 'utf-8)
       (tab-width . 8)
       (fill-column . 70)))
   (c-mode . ((c-file-style . "GNU"))))

This specification for "coding" would take precedence over coding inferred from environment settings. It would not take precedence over an explicit coding cookie in the file.

Currently .dir-locals.el cannot specify 'coding', but I suspect that's mostly just due to the intricacies of the current implementation, not due to any specific desire to reject the use of 'coding' in .dir-locals.el.