Re: New maintainer

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2015 14:43:07 -0700

> Then I respectfully withdraw myself as a candidate for maintainer. Damning
> by implication is one thing; setting out to defame other organizations in
> order to make one's own appear the standard of virtue is something else
> entirely, and I do not wish to be associated with such methods.

It's been pointed out off-list that I was a bit too hasty in responding to
David's comments as if he represented the FSF in any way.

So I will withdraw my withdrawal, and say that if the opinions of the FSF, and
the maintenance of Emacs by someone like myself, can co-exist without
involving ethical compromise by either one of us, I'm happy for us to work
together.

The most important thing, even beyond the technical refinement of Emacs, is
the fostering of a supportive and active user community. Perhaps this means a
collaboritive maintainship, as suggested by Eli, though I'm still not sure
that is the wisest course of action. Happy to debate that in another thread,
though, if multiple maintainers should be chosen. If they are people I can
work with, then I'm certain a happy outcome can be found. If not, that alone
is proof we shouldn't be trying to lead together.

John